Friday, June 25, 2010

the mean

Almost indistinguishable,
like the difference between
snow and sleet,
or the me from yesterday
and the me from today.
Is stagnancy so boring
to revel in the mirror-solid
surface of an undisturbed pond?

But I wear self-induced ripples,
blooming outward like
an atom bomb after it hits.
They leave a mushroom
cloud of dark reminders:
“This is what I did,
and this is what you get.”

And you skip stones across my back,
leave no scars,
just ripples, ripples
--Where you hit, the epicenter:
“This is what I did,
and this is what you get.”

I hear the flat stones in your pockets
jostle against each other
like the thoughts arguing
for more room in my brain.
And I know you’re planning something,
and you know I’m thinking something,
but you’ll never hear what.

--Believe me;
it’s somewhere between
snow and sleet,
me and Me,
a pebble and a bomb.

And I might as well be
the hyphen between
the year of your birth
and the year of your death.

No comments:

Post a Comment